20 April 2008

Scottish Indie-folk is The Shit!

And as much as it pains me to say it, I have to give Garry some credit for helping to provide my way in by finally getting me to listen to the Beta Band last year. Technically I'd already had exposure to the scene - James Yorkston fits nicely in, and his Moving Up Country album is one of my all time picks. Yet it was a combination of three things that finally got me to explore a little more - the aforementioned turning on to the Beta Band (I'd come close back when they broke through but never followed up an interest in an E.P.), my continued use of Last FM, and my general move towards folk and folk-influenced music in the last few weeks.

I've spent (or rather ordered; handily, yet frustratingly, receipt and payment will be delayed) far too much in the last month or so, buying up the likes of King Creosote, King Biscuit Time (a.k.a. Steven Mason, former frontman for the Betas - incidentally also now with an upcoming release under the moniker Black Affair, albeit with a very different sound), Malcom Middleton (of Arab Strap fame)...

For years I would have ridiculed Scottish music, but for now it's calling me.

3 comments:

Garry G said...

I suppose this makes you my beeyatch.

Garry G said...

On a less serious note I sneer at you for not knowing about Scottish folk/blues legend John Martyn!

Unknown said...

Eh, I've had Solid Air for years.

Never grokked he was Scottish... mainly 'cause he wasn't (born in Surrey, of all places!) ;P